Wrexham Bloxx Media Library
What is Bloxx Media Library?
The Bloxx Media Library is a secure Web Appliance that allows schools to harness the power and knowledge of YouTube in a safe, filtered environment.
Teachers can quickly identify curriculum-related YouTube media and with a few clicks, assign them to a subject area and age range, then submit them for approval. Once the videos are approved (by another teacher in the school), pupils can easily search and view videos which are then streamed directly from YouTube through the appliance to classroom PCs.
Setting up Bloxx Media Library on the Wrexham Schools Network will provide the following key benefits:
- Access to video content streamed directly from YouTube
- A single media library accessible to all schools in Wrexham
- Curriculum content that is approved by teachers
- Accessible to pupils, staff and anyone logged onto the school network
- Just the video – links and comments are removed
- Video’s organized into curriculum areas and subjects
- Fully searchable
- Ability to TAG video content with keywords and descriptions
- Ability to set age restrictions on each video’s so only content appropriate to the pupils can be viewed. E.g. A year 5 pupil would not be able to see a video where the age range had been set to 14 plus.
- Access to the media library to all pupils and staff from home
How will this work in school?
All teachers will be given access to YouTube on the school network based on their login details. Teachers can then browse YouTube to find appropriate curriculum related content and submit it to the Wrexham Bloxx Media Library for approval. Any teacher can approve a video that has been submitted including ones they have submitted themselves. As soon as the video has been approved by the teacher the video it will become available to pupils and teachers through the media library.
In order to protect pupils it is important that Teachers do not show YouTube content directly through class projectors / monitors as this will not filter out links and comments. All YouTube content must be delivered to pupils through the Wrexham Bloxx Media Library. Users who do deliver content to pupils directly from YouTube will have their access to YouTube removed.
For further information or guidance please contact the ICT curriculum support team:
Simon Billington – email@example.com